Saturday, March 1, 2014

Visit to St. Seraphim

It's always a pleasure to drop by St. Seraphim and talk to Father Patrick and Father Moses about the fresco technique. While fresco painting is still practiced widely throughout Europe it is rarely practiced in the US. I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to watch a true fresco in progress so close to home. Every time I visit the church and talk with the monks I learn tips about painting and plastering.

According to Father Moses it is not necessary to have 7-10 layers of thin color. Some colors can be applied with just a few coats. Both he and Father Patrick are constantly learning new things as they paint. For a while mysterious white patchy bits were showing up on the fresco. It turns out that it was due to Father Moses touching the surface while he was painting.


Another thing that I learned was that right before one starts painting, it is good to break up the surface with a trowel. While I have found that I don't necessarily need to do this they prefer to work this way. Their surfaces are perfectly plastered while I prefer to have a somewhat uneven surface with irregularities to give my work an older look. I'm also not a master plasterer!




On the way up to the cupola.

No comments:

Post a Comment